March Madness

Julia Aguero, Staff Writer

The Hawthorne High School Library Media Center is hosting its very own version of the NCAA’s March Madness basketball tournament. Instead of choosing a basketball team projected to win, HHS students are asked to choose their favorite fantasy/sci-fi book, classic novel, movie spin-off, and book series to fill out the bracket.

Each week there is a book winner in each category that will advance to the next round until one book is crowned the winner. After filling out the bracket and entering it in the contest, a student’s bracket is drawn and declared the winner of the week. After all four weeks of winners have been declared, those winners are put into another drawing on March 31 to determine who will win the prize of a basketball.

For the first round, the fantasy/sci-fi books students had the options to chose from were Artemis Fowl, Brave New World, Fahrenheit 451, and Frankenstein. The fantasy/sci-fi books that got the most votes and advanced to the second week were Brave New World and Frankenstein. As for classics, the books were Catcher in the Rye, Huckleberry Finn, Of Mice and Men, and Alice in Wonderland. The books that advanced to the second week were Catcher in the Rye and Of Mice and Men. For the first round, the movie spin-offs included The Fault in Our Stars, The Giver, Gone Girl, and The Last Song. Those to advance to the second round were The Fault in Our Stars and The Last Song. Finally, last category of series consists of Crank, Divergent, Maze Runner, and Percy Jackson. Those books to advance to the next round were Divergent and Percy Jackson.

Sabrina Irvolino was the winner of week 1. Enter your bracket for week 2 and maybe you could be the next winner!