Current Conflicts in the Middle East

Throughout history, the Middle East housed ages of advancements in technology and global knowledge. Unfortunately, the region has come into cultural stagnation due to encroaching conflicts and events. Through exposure to foreign terminologies and uses of the media, nations in the Middle East erupted into a series of rebellions, starting in Tunisia, which have come to be known as the Arab Springs. Though the goals of many of these revolutions were often met, other conflicts arouse as a result. This is of concern for us at Hawthorne High School because it is a geopolitical pivot-point for Europe and the United States.

In the most generalized manner, this article will offer a brief, but straight to the point, history of the conflicts that have attracted international attention.

Syria

Home to many ethnic cultures, Syria has long been recognized as a region of cultural fertility. Gaining independence from France in 1946, it has recently erupted into internal destruction. Public demonstrations against the regime of Bashar Al Assad began on the March, 2011, with the people aspiring for political reforms and freedom, against what they view as a totalitarian regime. However, things escalated when brute force was used on the protestors, thus, crisis emerged. The Syrian opposition is unified on the goal of removing the regime of Assad, even while holding contrary visions, whether liberal, theocratic, conservative, socialistic, or other.  Unfortunately, the international community is divided, with no consensus on how to resolve the conflict. As a result, in Jerusalem Post, Rye Druzin reports the loss over 11,5000 lives and the relocation of 4 million civilians from the war zone. Agreements in Geneva 1 and talks in Geneva 2 are possibly offering peaceful resolutions, under the international community. John Kerry says to CNN News: “The implementation of Geneva-1 is the goal of Geneva-2, and that is a transition government with full executive authority, which gives the Syrian people as a whole, everybody in Syria, the chance to have a new beginning where they choose their future leadership.”  However, they are not meeting the demands and expectations of the both sides. Recent backlashes show that the Forces of Assad and the Free Syrian Army are still engaging one another, and omens of an end are unseen.

Egypt

The recent successful removal of former ruler Hosni Mubarak has lifted immense weight off the Egyptian public, but added supplement weight due to recent events. Since his removal on February 11, 2011, Egypt went through a transitory military rule, leading to the election of a civil government. With the presidential elections won by the Muslim Brotherhood, Morsi, the elected president,  promised equality , improved lifestyle, and reformation. Nevertheless, the rule of a theocratic party raised the fear of the establishment of an Islamic state and the abolishment of civil society. Neglecting individual rights and disregarding other religious groups, people have once again taken to the streets. Monique Al Faisy Saad Ibrahim, an acclaimed professor, told the Huffington Post: “Nowadays, with the Muslim Brotherhood about to Islamicize the country … there is an overreaction by both the Copts and the majority of Muslims against the attempts of the Muslim Brotherhood to demolish or to abolish the integrity of Egypt,”

Fears of the establishment of an Islamic state are at hand, with Christians and Muslims united for one purpose.

Iraq

This region still faces continuous and tedious sectarian conflicts. Left in complete rubble, Iraq is housing many problems, such as lack of water, food, resources, leadership, and law. A haven for recruitment, terrorist groups now embed agents in Iraq and resume recruiting young men from this war-torn nation. Penny Starr of CNS News acknowledges that John Kerry, Secretary of State, said to Hoshyar Zebari, an Iraqi Foreign Minister: “And we agreed that we cannot allow them to play on the sectarian divides that recruit young Iraqis to go fight in a foreign war, the same way that we cannot allow al-Qaida and other extremists to recruit young men from Iraq and elsewhere to join into their twisted version of jihad.”

Iran

Recent progress in Iran towards achieving full nuclear capabilities has worried other nations. With unsuccessful past relationships between Iran and the U.S. and Britain, many envision the theocratic nation, with nuclear weaponry, hard to absorb. The election of Rahmani resulted in talks of compromise.

Jordan

With lack of oil, water, and proper representation of the people, the situation is growing tense as hundreds of thousands of refugees are flocking into the Hashemite Kingdom.  Statistical analysis, taken from a report by Jodi Rudoren in The New York Times, has shown that roughly 500 thousand Syrian refugees have stationed themselves in Jordan (not counting those in Egypt, Libya, Lebanon, and Palestine). A strong ally of the United States, Jordan serves as a vital pinpoint. Surviving the springs, the lenient democratic culture prevailed, and the regime survived. However, threats are still at hand.

Afghanistan

The geopolitical pivot pinpoint that Afghanistan represents in the Middle East is often referred to by many as the “Silk Route.” Regarding by other nations as the “Big Game,” Afghanistan has constantly fought for its independence. At one point, it became a hotbed in the Cold War, as thousands of Soviet troops were deployed there. After the conflict came to an end, a power gap was created in which the Taliban, an Islamist fundamentalist movement, filled the gap. A report by BBC News entitled Afghanistan Profile has estimated that prior to 2001, 90 percent of the region was controlled by the Taliban. Descendants from the Pashtuns, its ultra-Islamic views brought criticism, yet brought stability in the region for two decades. Harboring of Al Qaeda operatives within the nation would lead into an inevitable backlash between the Coalition forces and the Taliban. After being removed from power, the Taliban has sought after reclamation and vendetta ever since. Currently in a stage of imminent chaos, the people of Afghanistan are looking forward for their domestic military to be given the responsibility of defending the nation from future risks. NATO forces are in a gradual state of pulling out troops. However, problems continue to arise, which may lead to continued U.S. presence.