Hawthorne Education Foundation Hosts “Record Breaking Party”

On Sunday, May 6, The Hawthorne Education Foundation is hosting a “record breaking party” called “Will You Be the One?” in an attempt to break the Guinness World Record for the longest toss. This event will be taking place on the Hawthorne High School field from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.

People of all ages can participate in breaking the Guinness Book of World Records for the longest toss. This toss is referred to as a “corn toss” because corn-filled bags are being thrown into the holes of a platform. These corn-filled bags are similar to bean bags but are heavier and larger. Usually the game is played by teams, but the Hawthorne Education Foundation made it their own, which is why it called the “HEF Toss.” Currently, 106 feet is the Guinness Record that participants will try to be beat.

There is a $5 donation required for three tosses in the Senior HEF Toss (18 years old and over) category; a $3 donation is required for three tosses in the junior HEF-Toss category (11-17 years old). Three tosses will also be given in the Youth category (10 and under).  There will be no admission fee, although tickets will be sold to purchase food and drinks. Tickets from previous HEF events will be accepted as well.

“We strive to ‘HEF-erize’ our fundraisers so the whole family can enjoy themselves.  Since the money raised goes to all the schools, I hope the people of Hawthorne come and have a fun time!” said Hawthorne Education Foundation President, Rich Malizia Jr.

Each winner of the longest “HEF-Toss” for 2012 will be given a trophy. The winner in the Senior category will have his/her name engraved on a plaque. All money raised during the event will be going to the Hawthorne Public Schools.

Hawthorne High School student Jessica Terrizzi said, “I think this is a fun and creative way to raise money for the public schools in Hawthorne. This idea is way better than just an ordinary bake sale or apparel sale.”