• Ferry capsizes in Iraq's Tigris river killing 71.

• Death Toll Rises From Cyclone Idai As Rescuers Struggle to Reach Those Stranded.

• Lion Air Crash Families Say They Were Pressured to Sign No-Suit Deal.

The Coaches That Made Me the Athlete I Am Today

Vinny Morano, Staff Writer

When people see me cheer lead, specifically tumble, they always tell me I’m “amazing.” While I don’t think I’m “amazing” and still can improve on a lot of different things, I will admit that I have worked fairly hard and I am very proud of what I can do. However, I cannot take a lot of credit for my ability. Most of this credit goes to my all-star cheer-leading coaches at U.S Cheer Rebels. Each of these coaches, all extremely successful in the cheer-leading world, are responsible for not only training me physically, but also mentally. They have also taught me numerous amounts of life lessons that I can use not only in cheer, but also in the modern world. While they are my coaches, they are also a second family to me.

Deanna Maskley: A 2 x NCA Champion, Summit Champion, and Cheersport Champion, Deanna, only 18, is a truly great coach. Because she is closer to my age, she understands the problems I have and helps me through them, but she also teaches me to leave all my non cheer- related problems at the door and to just focus on cheer when the time comes. She knows exactly what buttons to push to make me the best I can be and shows me tough love when I need it. I am extremely thankful for her

Tiy Fountain: Former coach of 5 x World Champions, The World Cup Shooting Stars and a cheerleading judge, Tiy knows exactly what it takes to turn a good cheerleader into a great cheerleader. Although strict and no-nonsense, he is one of the funniest and most understanding people I know. He has taught me to not let the opinions of others affect me and to work smarter, not harder. His wise words will stick with me through it all.

Bucky O’leary: 7 x World Champion, choreographer, and current co-coach of the World Cup Shooting Stars, Bucky is a rare type of person. His positivity radiates wherever he is and makes everyone around him happy. He has taught me that everything can be fixed with hard work and dedication and that just because someone is extremely successful, they can still be a very humble and thoughtful person.

Drew Dehart: Last but not least, Cheersport Champion, NCA National Collegiate Champion, and 4 x Top Ten Placer at the World Championships, Drew Dehart. I have known Drew since I was 12. When I first walked in to U.S Cheer Rebels, I had no confidence and I was a scared little boy. Somehow, Drew gave me the confidence I needed and taught me to be proud of what I can do and who I am. The life lessons he taught me are innumerable and have impacted my life so greatly. While Drew is respected as my coach, he is also thought of as an older brother to me.

As you can see, I have the dream team of coaches behind me, rooting for me and teaching me new things everyday. People say that playing sports can make a huge impact on people’s lives. Whoever said that is 100% correct.

Vinny Morano, Staff Writer

Vincent Morano (better known as Vinny) is a sophomore at Hawthorne High School. This is Vinny's first year writing for The Clarion and he is very excited...

• The Coaches That Made Me the Athlete I Am Today

Nick Manzi: Mr. Congeniality 2019

Mr. Hawthorne 2019 Recap

Luke Kowalski: Mr. Hawthorne 2019

There Is More To The Word Hate

Arts & Entertainment

A Breakdown of the 91st Oscars

Sports

TJ Palmer Becomes Mr. 1,000

Ecology Club T-Shirt Sale

Hawthorne High School Shines a Light on Human Trafficking

Mr. Hawthorne 2019

And the Spring Musical Is….