Teacher Spotlight: Allison N. King

Teacher Spotlight: Allison N. King

Many people who go to HHS will know that our track and football field are dedicated to Allison N King. What many DON’T know is that Allison was actually a man!

Allison N. King was a teacher here at Hawthorne High School back when it first opened its doors in 1933. 

Born around 1905, Mr. King lived at 110 Parmalee Ave (as of the 1940 Census) with his wife Jessie and daughter Nancy. King had a good amount of schooling for himself as well. Having gone to college for 5 years for his teaching degree at Rutgers University. King was the Athletic Director at HHS for several decades. 

Jackie Walsh, the Hawthorne Historical Society President, and former student of King, recounts his teaching methods: “He was a hoot! Everyday he’d smoke a cigarette in class, and once class started he’d put it on his desk, point to the back of the room, and say “now look” in a deep voice. He was joking around to see who would look back, which on the first day, everybody fell for. He was a fun guy.” 

About the Contributor
Aidan Clancy, Staff Writer
Hello, I'm Aidan Clancy! I'm a senior at HHS and this is my first year writing for the Clarion, but I've written articles for other things before this as well. I want to be a history teacher at a high school level, I'm a member of the Hawthorne's Historical Society, and I am a WWII Reenactor for the US Army (45th Infantry Division). I am also a Volunteer Firefighter Cadet with Rescue 5 in town. Can't wait!