All About Ramadan 2024

Ramadan
ictQATAR
Ramadan

Ramadan is considered to be the holiest month for Muslims around the world. Have you ever considered why they fast from dawn till dusk? What is the purpose of the holiday? Why are they not able to eat/drink (including water!)? Here is some information on Ramadan.

When does Ramadan take place?

• Ramadan will begin this year on March 11, 2024. The expected dates of Ramadan can differ from place to place depending on the moon sighting. Overall the month usually begins and ends based on the sighting of the new moon. Muslims are expected to fast for about 11-16 hours a day depending on the time of the year.

Purpose of Fasting

• Muslims use the month of Ramadan to discipline themselves spiritually and physically by abstaining from bad deeds like backbiting, gossiping, lying, and fighting. We look forward to Ramadan as a chance for introspection, spiritual development, and moral advancement. It’s a time when we join together for prayers at the mosque and have breakfast together throughout the month.

Who fasts

Every Muslim who reaches puberty has a fasting obligation. On the other hand, those for whom fasting is difficult for are not required to fast. This concerns:

• Ill person
  • Pregnant women
  • Elderly individuals

Those individuals can make up the fast later on or feed a poor person for every day of the fasting that they miss.

Eid ul-Fitr

At the end of Ramadan, we celebrate one of the major holidays called Eid ul-Fitr “Festival of the Breaking of the Fast.” New clothes cash, or gifts are routinely given to kids by parents, relatives, and friends. On the morning of Eid, there is a special prayer and sermon as well as a community celebration. The celebrations include food, games, and kid-friendly games, with family and friends!

About the Contributor
Sara Saleh, Staff Writer
Hi there! My name is Sara Saleh and I'm currently a senior here at HHS. I am looking forward to sharing my stories here. I adore reading, watching movies, coffee and hanging out with friends. My dream is to get my PHD in Psychology and open up my own practice. I hope you enjoy reading my articles!