What is the NJSLA?

jackhynes
Testing is coming…

Starting on April 30 and through May 3, NJSLA testing will take place at Hawthorne High School. Some people many be wondering, just exactly what is the NJSLA Test all about?

Even though it has ‘NJ’ in its abbreviation, people all over the country have their own version for this test, all with the same goal in mind. The New Jersey Student Learning Assessments purpose is to see how much students know, understand the school’s curriculum, and if they learned anything from that particular school year. 

It also assesses how a student is able to analyze sources, as well as their general writing skills. The subjects in this test include English, Geometry/Algebra, and Science. Typically, the subjects will be taken on separate days.

Before the NJSLA was put in place, the PARCC (Partnership for Assessment Readiness for College and Careers) tests were the end-of-year tests that NJ students had to take.

However, in 2019, after re-assessing the contents of the test, and deeming it unfit, New Jersey changed the test to the NJSLA, as well as several other states at various times. 

Kendra Michel, Staff Writer
Hiya! My name is Kendra Michel and I am currently a sophomore here at HHS. This is my first time writing for the school newspaper, and I can't wait to write fun and interesting articles for you all! I like to spend my free time drawing, sewing, or just hanging out with my friends. I am also involved with the color guard in the HHS marching band.