HHS Creative Writing Club & Well Read Bookstore: Perfect Together

Members of the Creative Writing Club unveiled the 2012 literary magazine Empyrean at Well Read New & Used Books on Monday evening. Members, family and friends gathered at the bookstore for readings by the published student writers. The Empyrean is published by the Creative Writing Club each year and is illustrated by members of the Art Club.  Past issues going back to 1972 were on display. The first-ever online edition was also presented to those in attendance. This edition is accessible to the public at: www.issuu.com/hhsliterarymag. The public can also pick up a free copy of the print edition at Well Read.  At this launch part, the winners of the Annual Well Read Short Story Contest were announced (pictured above). Second place winner, Cecilia Schiavo read her story “The Doctor Told Me So,” and was awarded a $50 gift certificate to the bookstore. First place winner, Mike Verdon, read his story “The Encounter,” and received his $100 prize. The members’ stories were judged by three published writers of young adult fiction.  Judges, KarenDelle Cava and Hank Quense attended the magazine launch and spoke with the students about their writing. The readings and awards were followed by food, conversation and book browsing.