Quiz Bowl to The Challenge

quiz-bowl

The Quiz Bowl “Quiz Off” took place in the Media Center at HHS on September 14, 2012.  The winners of the four competing teams will now compete in The Challenge Quiz Bowl Competition sponsored by Channel 12 news on Thursday, November 1, 2012.  The members of the winning teams are Haley Cimillo, Marina Kaghado, Julianna O’Neill, Paige Stroh, and Marc Vitello.

During the “Quiz Off” students were asked a series of questions by The Network advisor, Carol Denise, and moderated by faculty member, John Passaro. Teams consisted of four members and one alternate in case a team member could not attend.

“I didn’t think we’d win,” said Stroh. “We were juniors competing against seniors.” Although surprised, the winning students are happy that they won the “Quiz Off” and are excited to be competing in The Challenge.

“If we have this opportunity to win the semifinals, I would use my $500 for college and future investments,” said Cimillo.

“I’m happy to participate in The Challenge because two years ago my brother also participated, and I’m thankful to do the same,” said Vitello.

In The Challenge, the best and brightest high school students from the Tri-State area compete against one another with the goal of winning $10,000 and becoming the Tri-State Challenge champions. Each team member in the final round is awarded $500.  This season, 184 high schools will be competing. New this season is Jared Cotter–a popular semifinalist from American Idol. He will be the person asking the questions. Questions will be based on students’ knowledge of history, arts and literature, current events, math and science.