Ramos Brothers Bring the Fire

Ethan and Evan Ramos, seniors on the Hawthorne High School (HHS) Varsity Wrestling Team, continue the new year with one victory after another bringing them both to undefeated records, a handful of 1st place finishes in various tournaments, and college coaches around every corner attempting to grab one of them as they leave high school wrestling years behind.

Ethan Ramos, officially going to the University of North Carolina (UNC) on a wrestling scholarship, placed 4th in the New Jersey State Wrestling Tournament in the 170 lb weight class last year in Atlantic City. This year, Ethan entered the season ranked 1 in the state of New Jersey and continues his season with the intention of winning the entire tournament and going into college as a New Jersey State Wrestling Champion. “I plan on succeeding and turning the program [at UNC] around,” Ethan said. “My dedication, hard work, and desire to win, is what will make it possible.”

Evan Ramos, considering wrestling at Johnson and Wales University in Rhode Island, also went to the New Jersey State Wrestling Tournament last year and placed in the top 12 in the 195 lb weight class. This year, Evan began the season ranked 4th in the state but intends to beat his seeding and accompany his brother, Ethan, on the 1st place pedestal. “I’ve put basically my entire summer into preparing myself to win the New Jersey State Wrestling tournament,” Evan said. “All I have to do now is apply what I’ve learned and I know I can do it.”

As the season goes on, Ethan and Evan stand undefeated. As of January 25, 2013 at the Passaic County Wrestling Tournament, the Ramos brothers both locked in first place finishes. Ethan’s finish brought him to a 24-0 record while Evan’s finish brought him to a 23-0 record. Ethan made HHS history by being the first HHS wrestler to take first place in the Passaic County Wrestling Tournament three out of his four high school wrestling years. Evan tied the old record by taking 1st place two out of his four high school wrestling years.

Friends, family, fans, and coaches of the Ramos brothers have confidence that they will see Evan and Ethan take first place in the New Jersey State Wrestling Tournament down in Atlantic City at the end of the season.