First Annual Speedball Tournament

The class of 2016 will be hosting the first annual Hawthorne Speedball Tournament on Thursday, April 4,at 6:00 p.m. in Hawthorne High School’s gymnasium.

Speedball is a game played in physical education classes and intramural leagues across the country. According to Livestrong.com, Elmer Mitchell, an intramural director at the University of Michigan, developed the game of speedball in the 1920s. It was created as a game everyone could enjoy, incorporating a variety of sports, including soccer, football, and basketball. Speedball can be played with many variations. Some schools, for example, choose to play on a standard football field with a regulation speedball and soccer nets. But in this particular tournament at HHS, we are playing in the gymnasium with a volleyball. Since we are playing indoors at Hawthorne,we will use the baselines as end zones and the basketball hoops as goals. To score, a basic touchdown is worth 1 point, a touchdown from one female to another is worth 2 points, a touchdown caught from a kick is 2 points, a basket made from outside the key is 3 points, and the highest way to score is a half-court shot worth 5 points.

For the tournament, games will be played for a maximum of 7 to 8 minutes, unless a team scores at least 20 points with a 15 point lead. Teams will consist of 10 to 12 players, with a minimum of three girls per team. Each team must include a faculty or staff member who will either coach or participate. The cost is $10 per player/coach, which includes a tournament team t-shirt. Also, to add incentive, the winning team will receive a trophy with the team name and picture in the Hawthorne High School trophy case. Physical Education teacher, Allison Gerdes, says this should be a “slam dunk” event not only for the freshman class, but for the seniors who were the first class to not have speedball event  in their Superstars competition.

The rules and regulations of speedball at Hawthorne High School are as follows.

1st Annual HHS Speedball Tournament

Rules and Regulations

Game Rules:

1. Speedball is played by two teams of 10-12 players.

2. Games will be played for a maximum time of 8-10 minutes or first team to score at least 20 points with a 15 point lead.

3. Each team must have a minimum of 3 girls on the court at all times.

4. The game begins with a jump ball – the ball must be tipped to another player.

5. The ball can be advanced down the court by throwing to your teammates or by kicking/dribbling a ball on the ground.

6. You may not take steps while holding the ball (no traveling).

7. Once a ball has hit the ground it is to be played as soccer. A ball on the ground can only be kicked or bounced off the body (no hands). In order to catch the ball, it must touch a body part first (no hands).

8. A female must touch the ball before you can score; exception to the rule is if you intercept within the 3 point arc on your side of the court.

9. If the ball goes in the bleachers it must be brought back in as a ground ball. If the ball goes in the balcony a jump-ball will resume play.

10. Touchdowns must be caught clean (no catches off the bleachers or walls) with both feet in the end zone.

11. If the player in possession of the ball is being guarded they must get rid of the ball within 5 seconds.

12. If a ball is considered a ground ball and a player catches or touches the ball with their hands it is considered a turnover and possession goes to the other team.

13. If a team has fewer players than their opponent, the opposing team must play with the same amount of players with remaining players as substitutes.

Scoring:

 Touchdown: 1 point

 Touchdown (female to female): 2 points

 Touchdown caught from a kick: 2 points

 3-point basket: 3 points

 Half-court shot (from within center circle): 5 points

Fouls:

Team Fouls include, but are not limited to, handling a ground ball illegally, traveling, and holding the ball for more than five seconds when guarded. Team fouls will result in a change in possession.

Personal fouls include, but are not limited to, blocking, charging, pushing, tagging, holding, tripping, or any other contact with another player.

 Personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct will result in a two minute penalty on first offense.

 On second offense, the player will be removed from the game and the team must play one man down.

 On third offense, the player will be removed from the tournament.

**Please keep in mind our objectives for the tournament which emphasize sportsmanship and a constant concern for safety at all times!!**