HHS Celebrates National Poetry Month

Hawthorne High School’s Creative Writing Club is celebrating National Poetry Month on Tuesday April 23, 2013 by sponsoring The Joys of Poetry Day that will be full of various events.

To prepare for HHS’ Joys of Poetry Day, the Creative Writing Club members will fill HHS with poems in an event called Poems in Surprise Places. As the name might suggest, students will hide different poems in creative places for teachers and friends to find, discover, and enjoy as the day begins and progresses.

The Joys’ of Poetry Day activities continue for the student body as students are welcomed to participate before the start of the school day and during lunch periods to participate in Poems on the Pavement, writing poetry on the sidewalks in the court yard. Students will be able to choose a spot in the courtyard to write poetry and decorate with chalk. Students will be able to walk around, read, and share each other’s work. Additionally, students will write poetry on all the windows in the Library Media Center with special glass markers.

To end of the day, the Creative Writing Club will be hosting a Poetry Read-Aloud party and a Pass it on Poetry event in the Library Media Center after school. During the read-aloud, all students are invited to bring any poem they like to share, either written by themselves or by other poets. Students can read and discuss their poems to the group, or just come to enjoy listening to some poetry. The day will end with students taking a fun approach to writing poetry with the Pass it on Poetry event.  It is an event in which each participant will write one line of a poem about whatever topic he or she chooses without knowing what the other participants are writing about. Once everyone has their portion written, the lines will be combined into a very unique and surprising poem.

HHS is also celebrating National Poetry Month all throughout April in the Library Media Center. At the entrance of the Library, a display of different books involving poetry welcomes all who walk in. The display includes various books of both modern and classic poetry, including the popular book “Crank” by Ellen Hopkins. And finally, there is a display of books on and by the famous poet William Shakespeare who celebrates his birthday on April 23.

Come help celebrate National Poetry Month with HHS! If you have any questions about any of the events, see Theresa DiGeronimo, HHS’ Library Media Specialist, in the Library.