Tech Team Completes Summer Internship

Several Hawthorne High School student Tech Team members participated in an internship/service-learning project in collaboration with the Louis Bay II Library during the month of July. The internship, under the supervision of Hawthorne High School faculty Joe Verdon and Karen McSherry, offered Team members a hands-on opportunity to connect academic learning with real-world applications that benefit the community.

During the school year, the Tech Team members  perform technology repairs, trouble shoot, and provide technology expertise to students and teacher for various functions and programs. Members Alyssa Matos, Rich Rivera, Sal Pierro, Sebby Inturrisi, and Jake Aguero  eagerly accepted the challenge of fulfilling a wishlist of desired technology applications and programs for the public library, as well as a daily to-do list. Each student worked on a given schedule  to update existing computer programs, install and maintain new social media outlets, and produce and install information video and computer picture frames about the library, and produce an “Introduction to the Library” video. During each session, the technology team’s progress and interests were posted on the library website as well as the new social media outlets  of Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Members of the community were able to interact with the technology team through these outlets.

The program included incentives offered by the public library for the students upon completion of 10 hours of service, including: documentation of volunteer hours, a letter of recommendation from the library director, Kathie O’Dowd, and a certificate of internship.

Group supervisor, Karen McSherry who is doing graduate work toward a doctorate in Educational Leadership commented: “I was very impressed by the commitment of the students in service to the community. Each student benefited from the experience as did the residents of Hawthorne.”