2013 Hallway Decorating

The Hallway Decorating Competition at Hawthorne High School, a time-honored tradition of Spirit Week, took place on Friday, October 18, and the results were outstanding.

The competition involves all grades decorating their own hallway to a theme of their own choosing.  This year the freshmen chose Dr.Seuss, sophomores chose Disney Animal Kingdom, juniors chose Haunted Hallway, and seniors chose New York City.

The judges of the competition were art teacher and student activity advisor Danielle Russo, student activity advisor Gustav Schell, and a few other members of the faculty. The judges rate the hallways based on several categories including creativity, execution, and craftsmanship.  The hallway that has the most points collectively from each category is the winner.

This year the winners of the competition were the members of the senior class with their New York City theme.  When asked about the senior’s hallway, Ms. Danielle Russo said, “I enjoyed how they started with the Lincoln Tunnel and then progressed through all of the different sections and neighborhoods of Manhattan.”

Students who partook in the competition volunteered their time after school to help out in the decorating process, which could potentially take countless hours to put up and plenty of planning.

Sophomore Mackenzie Costello said, “It was nice to be with everyone and have fun decorating.”

[slideshow id=36]