Teens For Jeans

Hawthorne High School’s Spanish Club, led by Spanish teacher Karina Torres-Rivas, is sponsoring the Teens For Jeans project.

The club is collecting gently worn jeans to donate to homeless teens. The event ends on February 10, 2014.

The club started this venture, according to Rivas, when they searched for charities to be involved in and found the website Dosomething.org. Along with the idea of collecting jeans, they found many other activities for teenagers to be involved in in order to help organizations, other groups, or their own community, such as the opportunity to donate $25 to a woman starting her own business.

When asked why she started this project, Rivas said, “Being involved in Teens for Jeans allows teenagers to be charitable to their own peers. It also brings awareness to the number of homeless teens in the USA alone.”

This is the third year the Spanish Club is participating in this event, and over the past two years they have collected 150 pairs of jeans to donate, and Rivas hopes to double it this year.

Anyone in the community is welcome to donate to the cause. Jeans can be brought to the Main Office. Students can also bring their jeans to the cafeteria, the library, or room 215.