January in the Library Media Center

Congratulations to junior Daniel McAvoy! Dan won a pizza pie donated by Hawthorne’s Best Pizza for winning the Library’s January trivia contest; Dan knew that the half-time entertainment at the first Super Bowl was provided by marching bands from the universities of Michigan and Arizona.  With the Super Bowl in January, along with the trivia question, the Library Media Center had a display of books about football and famous players.

To start off the month, Media Specialist, Theresa DiGeronimo and her Library Media Center crew put together a book display to help students make and keep New Year’s resolutions. The display included books on many possible resolutions including cooking, crocheting, and fitness and health. The purpose of these books and novels was to help motivate and help the HHS community achieve their goals.

In addition, there was a book display of books on human trafficking, drawing attention to Human Trafficking Awareness Day on January 11. Human trafficking is a major issue during big sporting events, and with the Super Bowl coming to New Jersey, Hawthorne High School is spreading awareness to its students and staff.

In January, the HHS community also finally finished the 500-piece jigsaw puzzle of a fluorescent peacock! This puzzle required plenty of patience for dozens of students who put an effort into it. It is now hanging up in the library for everyone to admire.

Lastly, parents and high school students attended a free workshop demonstrating SAT test-taking tips on Tuesday, January 28 from 7:30 to 9:00 p.m. The SAT workshop was hosted by the Library Media Center. The workshop included insights, tips, and worksheets for three SAT tests: Critical Reading, Writing, and Mathematics. Students studied sample questions and were given resources for more practice tests, study classes, and advanced SAT exploration.

Make sure to check back for an update on all the amazing things happening in Hawthorne High School’s Library Media Center in the month of February.