Hawthorne Students Join Publishing Team

Hawthorne High School students, junior Nina Nadirashvili and senior Natalie Tousignant, have recently been selected to the Merit 66 teen advisory board of Merit Press, a branch of F+W Media that publishes fictional literature for young adults. Nadirashvili and Tousignant are two of only 66 members from all over and outside the United States chosen to join the board.

As members of Merit 66, Nadirashvili and Tousignant will be offering opinions on the novels from the point of view of its target audience: teenage readers. Additionally, Merit Press is asking the members of Merit 66 to help publicize their books via social media. At this point, the girls have received their first book in the mail, Poor Little Dead Girls, by Lizzie Friend.

Merit Press’s Editor-in-Chief, Jacquelyn Mitchard, sent out word in in November that the company was looking for students interested in reading and reviewing their newest books. Theresa DiGeronimo, HHS’ Media Specialist and Creative Writing Club advisor, got the word out to members of the Creative Writing Club about this unique opportunity. Both Nadirashvili and Tousignant, who are both avid readers, were excited to apply.

Nadirashvili explained that she wants to use this opportunity to gain experience in the field of literature. She said, “I want to expand my knowledge about books because I don’t usually read young adult fiction.”

Both girls are excited to be new members and hope the experience will help them later on in their fields of study as Nadirashvili wants to study law and Tousignant wants to study literature.  The unique opportunity will surely benefit both young ladies.