HHS Celebrates Carnevale

Hawthorne High School’s Italian Club hosted Carnevale on February 28, 2014. Carnevale, which is a carnival that originated in Venice, Italy, is a traditional Italian celebration that takes place before Lent. To immerse the Italian club and HHS into the Italian culture, Marissa Margarucci, club advisor and Italian teacher, organizes the event in her classroom each year.

To prepare for Carnevale, students in the club transformed Margarucci’s classroom into a traditional Carnevale celebration with streamers and drapery. Students in both the Italian club and Italian classes also created Carnevale-themed masks and costumes to wear and sell during the celebration.

On Friday, February 28, members of HHS, both in and out of the Italian club, were able to attend Carnevale from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. When students arrived, they were welcomed to a classroom festooned to resemble a traditional Carnevale celebration with Italian music that helped set the mood of entering into another culture. Italian specialties, such as cannoli and Nutella treats, could also be purchased to help raise money for the Italian Club. There were also other items that students could buy at Carnevale, such as Italian Club sportswear and themed rubber bracelets.

To top off the festivities, the Italian Club also introduced a photo booth to Carnevale this year. For a small fee that went to the club, students could take pictures with their friends and dress up in Carnevale costumes.

Year after year, Carnevale has proven to be a great experience for everyone at HHS.