Read Across America 2014

Read Across America, a program started and run by the National Education Association, is an annual motivation and awareness program that takes place every year in celebration of the famous children’s author Dr. Suess. Read Across America Day is celebrated on March 2, Dr. Suess’s birthday. At Hawthorne High School, the Student Council takes part in this program throughout the month of March each year by sending students to the elementary schools in Hawthorne to read and play games with the children. This year, 60 HHS students participated in the program and visited Jefferson, Roosevelt, and Washington Elementary Schools.

HHS Student Council, along with the elementary school teachers, put the program together for both the high school and elementary school students. Student Activities Coordinator Gus Schell said there are two things that he loves about the program: “The excitement of the elementary school kids smiling while they are being read to and the good feeling the high school students feel after they read to the kids.” It is a double benefit for both age groups, he explained. The high school students and elementary students enjoy the experience.

At Roosevelt and Washington Schools, high school students were put into groups of two, and each couple went to a different classroom and read a story to the children. Junior Student Council member, Julio Aybar, commented on his experience reading to the kids, “I found that Read Across America was very intriguing and that it helped children comprehend stories in a different aspect, such as the story not being read by a teacher but by someone who can be a role model or friend from the high school. The children also interacting with us was a great part; it felt really good to see them smiling while we read.”

At Jefferson School, each high school student ran a game station for a group of 10-15 elementary students. Each station was based on a book that the children read in class with an activity to go along with the book. One station, for example, was on the book, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, and the activity to go along was lots of fun: Students had to strap on tissue box belt with six ping pong balls in the box and try to jump and shake until all the ping pongs were out of the box. Junior Student Council member, Calvin Graham, commented, “It was fun and enjoyable and exciting to see the enthusiasm on all the children’s faces.”

The long standing tradition of Read Across America will remain one for the years to come. Student Council President Chase Knepper said, “The elementary school students get so excited when we visit. They really seem to enjoy us visiting their classes and never really want us to leave. It’s also a lot of fun catching up with past teachers while we are there. It’s an overall great experience for all involved.”

Student Activities advisor Dannielle Russo said that she feels visiting the elementary schools gives the high school students a sense of community, as well as a learning experience and great life lesson on how to interact with the different level of students.