Cheerleading Wrap Up

The Hawthorne High School varsity cheerleaders had a successful 2013-2014 season taking home the title of New Jersey State Champions at the annual Eastern States Cheerleading Championship at Fairleigh Dickinson University.

At this competition, HHS varsity cheerleaders earned a 1st Degree of Excellence Award in the Cheer/dance, Pom, Cheer, and dance categories. Varsity also earned the Overall Champions title for their Pom routine. They earned the title of NJ State Champions for their acculmulation of points in both the Individuals routines and Team routines.

Team captain, Nicole DeSpirito credits the cheerleader’s successful season to their advanced stunt work; they moved from three libs to five libs and from four tosses to five tosses. DeSpirito also stated that part of their success was from the team “put(ting) aside ‘seniority’ and focusing on bringing out and showcasing the talents of the underclassman.”

This past season the cheerleaders felt as if they grew together as a team more than prior years. “As a team that is with each other for hours almost every single day, we tend to have our ups and downs. However in the end, we all love each other and have each other’s backs through everything,” said Angelika Alvarez, HHS junior and varsity cheerleader.

Varsity coach Liz Farkas believes this is the best season yet for her cheerleaders. “The team consisted of a dynamic group of athletes that not only worked successfully together as a team while performing, but also showed great character as teammates throughout the season.  They continuously worked to prepare and perform for both Girls and Boys Varsity basketball teams, while also maintaining a vigorous practice schedule for Competition.  I am so proud of the advanced stunts the team was able to master through determination, great attitudes, and athleticism.”

The varsity cheerleading team includes: Captains Nicole DeSpirito, Emily Rivera, and Rebecca Alonzo, along with team members Melissa Zappala, Caroline Shuart, Alexa Torres, Francesca Lupo, Rachael VanEk, Charlee Ciuba, Angelika Alvarez, Sherika Dyer, Ashley Edson, Iliyana Serrano, Gabriela Maoli, Sabrina Irvolino, Cristina Guarnieri, Jennifer Cruz, Katie Russo, Katrina LePage, Callie Keyzer, Alexa Cammarota, and Miguel Rivera.

The JV team also shined this season. At the Eastern States Cheerleading Championship, the JV squad earned a 1st Degree of Excellence Award for their Cheer/Dance routine. First-time junior varsity coach and former varsity assistant coach, Raquel Pisacreta, is proud of her team. “The girls worked so hard from day one until the end of the season. We bonded and worked together to achieve our goals for the season,” said Pisacreta.

The JV Varsity team includes: Isabella Kowalski, Darielys Molina, Kayla Conlon, Analysse Staudt, Brielle Diaz, A’Jariqah Grady, Kiana Moore, Lara Bookholt, Gillian McCarthy, and Kendra Phillips.

HHS is proud to have such a successful cheerleading squad representing the school.