World Book Event at HHS

On The Joy of Poetry day at HHS, 20 copies of the book 100 Best-Loved Poems were given away to students. Creative Writing Club members Justin and Phillip Rodrigues helped club adviser Theresa DiGeronimo distribute the books to students during the lunch period on April 24, 2014.

Digeronimo had volunteered to be a book giver for this year’s World Book Night event. Following registration and book assignment, the box of books was delivered to Well Read New & Used Bookstore on Lafayette Ave. Owner Bill Skees had a reception for all givers and then each left with a box of books to distribute.

Justin Rodrigues was happy to help with the distribution of the books. “I got lots of people to tell me, ‘Wow these are some good poems.’ [That] really got me happy.” Poem selections included works by Robert Frost, Dylan Thomas, E.E. Cummings, Edgar Allan Poe, Ralph Waldo Emerson, and Elizabeth Barrett Browning, among 94 others.

According to the World Book Night website, each year, 30- 35 books are chosen by an independent panel of librarians and booksellers. The authors of the books waive their royalties and the publishers agree to pay the costs of producing the specially-printed World Book Night U.S. editions. Bookstores and libraries sign up to be community host locations for the volunteer book givers.

The organizers of World Book Night believe that “reading for pleasure improves literacy, actively engaging emerging readers in their desire to read. Reading changes lives, improves employability, social interaction, enfranchisement, and can have a positive effect on mental health and happiness. Book readers are more likely to participate in positive activities such as volunteering, attending cultural events, and even physical exercise. Or more simply put, books are fun—and they can be life-changing.”