HHS Band Performs for Senior Citizens

The Hawthorne High School Concert Band performed for borough senior citizens at the Louis Bay II Library on Friday, May 2, 2014.  Supervised by band director Robert Dubois, the band walked from the high school to the library and arrived ready to play  for their audience.

Dubois remarked, “I thought the event was very successful. It gave the residents a chance to hear the high school concert band during the day, as many of our concerts are too late in the evening for them to attend.  It also gave our students the opportunity to perform three of the selections that we will be playing for the June concert, which leads to more confidence.”

Songs performed by the band included Toccata for Band by Frank Erickson, Colonel Bogey by Kenneth J. Alford, Selections from “Phantom of the Opera” by Andrew Lloyd Webber arranged by Warren Barker, and Disney at the Movies arranged by John Higgins.

Senior Hannah Vandereems who plays the trombone said, “The trip was a great experience and it was fun to perform in a different place where the acoustics were different.”

Freshman trombone player Giovanni Occhipinti commented, “We [HHS Concert Band] performed some of the pieces we’ve been working on for an audience of senior citizens at the library in town. They enjoyed the performance, and we enjoyed playing for them.”  He continued,“It was an incredible experience that I will cherish for the rest of my life.”

The trip was arranged through a collaboration between the high school and the library program coordinator Veronica Ditko.

The concert band will perform a spring concert at the high school on June 5 at 7:30 p.m.