High Line Trip

Students in Media Arts and Studio Art classes, accompanied by teachers John DiLonardo and Danielle Russo, took a scenic and educational trip to the High Line in New York City on May 2, 2014.

This is the third year that HHS students have taken the trip to High Line , which is an elevated park created from an abandoned railroad line. With all the greenery and foliage the park had to offer, the students loved what DiLonardo called the “oasis” of the 1.25 mile park above the big city.

Russo commented, “The students love the contrast of the beautiful vegetation and environment, with the remnants of the railroad that are still in the park, and the urban landscape that they have created above the streets of NYC.”

On top of the city landscape and advertising, High Line offered students an opportunity to explore various murals, artwork, sculptures, and landscaping. Some of the art the students encountered included a billboard by Faith Ringgold, entitled Grooving High, which featured an abstract of a  group of people dancing.

While on the trip, students were able to sketch landscapes and still lives. Media Arts students were also able to photograph an image for their “fill in the photo” assignment.

After the students left the park, many were amazed by the hidden haven in the big city that was full of impressive art and design. However,  junior and Media Arts student Alessandro Castillo said, “The best thing was just the view.”