Physics and Pre-Calculus Classes Study Motion

Hawthorne High School’s physics and pre-calculus classes, along with teachers Michael Davidson, Cheryl Smith, and Ryan McMann, took a trip to Six Flags Great Adventure to study and ride the roller coasters on Friday May 23, 2014.

In addition to being fun, the Six Flags trip was also educational as it came in conjunction with the roller-coaster building project.

During the trip, the group of students involved in the roller-coaster projects was required to complete a worksheet on which they recorded the acceleration of particular roller coasters and answered related questions. McMann said, “The students were asked to complete a packet of 10 or 11 questions while they were [at the amusement park].  Each student worked in the same group with whom they built their roller coaster, and each packet focused on one specific ride.”

Passaic County Community College Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) program coordinators Gonzalo Parez and Dennis Reer also accompanied HHS students during the Six Flags trip and activity. According to Smith, the involvement of PCCC in funding the trip and roller coaster projects “affected the project… in different dimensions. All in all, it’s been a very positive experience.” Davidson also commented, saying, “Staff from PCCC was very helpful and knowledgeable. We were fortunate to have their input and company.”

Unlike other years, the trip was partially funded by the STEM program to promote careers in that field. As Davidson relayed, students who were part of the roller-coaster project enjoyed the trip for free, and the other students paid relatively low prices due to excess funds that had come from earlier years.

Although this year’s trip to Great Adventure was scheduled later than usual (on the Friday before the long Memorial Day weekend), and the crowds and lines were larger and longer, student spirit was very high, and everyone seemed to have a good time on the bus and at the park, according to Davidson. HHS senior and pre-calculus student, Amira Helwani, said, “I enjoyed spending the day with my friends and riding the roller coasters on this educational field trip.”