8th Grade Orientation at HHS

Hawthorne High School had its annual 8th grade orientation on Thursday evening, November 13, 2014. This event introduces 8th graders and their parents to the high school and all the fun activities they can be a part of.

To begin the night, parents and students gathered in the auditorium where student activities director, Gus Schell, ran the program . He introduced Principal Daniel LaGrone and guidance counselor Michael Gallucio. Schell then talked about Hawthorne alumni and introduced current students who talked about their experiences at HHS. Schell emphasized the many qualities of the school such as its 140 electives and the AP courses. The auditorium program also included a performance on stage by the HHS band, followed by a dance routine by the Drama Club. The program ended with the singing of the Hawthorne High School Alma Mater.

After leaving the auditorium, parents and 8th graders were free to explore the academics, sports and clubs offered at HHS. Members of sports teams were in the cafeteria offering information on their teams that included bowling, lacrosse, football, soccer, tennis, track, wrestling, baseball, softball, and cheerleading. In room 210, parents and students found members of the many clubs offered at HHS including Journalism Club, Drama Club, Creative Writing Club, Spanish and Italian Clubs, Fitness Club, Robotics Club, and the Gay Straight Alliance.

Throughout the building, teachers were posted in classrooms offering information on the academic program at HHS. In the broadcasting room, teacher Kevin Johnson showed a student film of an HHS football game along with other student-created broadcasts. In the Media Arts room, there was a photo shoot set up and a table covered in art work. In the art room, there were paintings and drawings hanging all around the room to display the fine work of HHS students.

Jason Bryant
Jason Bryant, Editor
I am Jason Bryant, simple chap found in Hawthorne High School and am in my senior year. You can see me wherever and whenever there is a school event, during school, or any other activity. My hobbies are acting, watching and making movies, photography, writing and many others. I have been writing for the newspaper for more than two years for the journalism club and this is my first year in the journalism class. I hope that my articles peak your interest and that you want to come back and read some more.