Hawthorne Reads Across America

Volunteer members of HHS’s Student Council visited Hawthorne’s elementary schools, Roosevelt and Jefferson, on February 24 and February 27 consecutively to participated in Read Across America, a program that brings together younger children and teens through the power of reading.

During the trip to Roosevelt, HHS students traveled from classroom to classroom reading stories to various classes. HHS freshman Rocco Pecoraro said of the day, “Having the high schoolers visit the elementary school is a great way to show kids that reading will be important throughout their lives, no matter how old they are!”

Read Across America in Jefferson School served as a game day for students, with High Schoolers running fun activities and programs for the younger students.The event was a great hit for students of all ages and teachers alike, with everyone raving about the program.

Roosevelt principal, Joseph Pisacane, commented on the importance of reading stating, “I believe that instilling a passion for reading at a young age is essential for creating inquisitive, curious and ultimately successful citizens.”

Read Across America is run by the National Education Association. The program, with its mascot of the always-lovable Dr.Seuss, is meant to promote reading and instill children with a passion for literature from a young age. On the National Education Association’s Read Across America website it states, “The National Education Association is building a nation of readers through its signature program, NEA’s Read Across America. Now in its 18th year, this year-round program focuses on motivating children and teens to read through events, partnerships, and reading resources.”

As Dr. Seuss says, “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more you that you learn, the more places you’ll go!”