Painting the Den

Erika La Monaca, Staff Writer

For the first time in Hawthorne High School history, the student council board, led by student activities coordinates Ms. Danielle Russo and Mr. Gustav Schell, has enacted a new senior class tradition that will be followed for years to come. Ms. Danielle Russo briefly stated, “Student Council is starting a new tradition for the senior class to paint the den. It displays school spirit and a great bonding experience for the seniors, while leaving their “mark” on the school. Each year we plan to give the senior class this opportunity to paint their own mural. The wall is going to be blue and white, and read “Welcome to Bear Country” and then in another part of the wall, ‘Class of 2016’.”

The exciting senior surprise was announced on Friday, September 4 and sign-ups began on Tuesday, September 8. However, only the first fifty-one seniors to sign up were able to participate in this new tradition due to limited space. This new tradition enables the Class of 2016 to leave their mark on the school one last time before they depart for future endeavors. Mr. Richard Spirito shared his thoughts on the den painting, “One of the many things that I love about Hawthorne is the school spirit and pride that our students demonstrate on a daily basis. I’m also aware that we have some extremely talented artists in Hawthorne. I look forward to our artists in the senior class to share their talents and their school spirit through this den painting project. I’m sure it will be a wonderful addition to the den and the athletic field in general. Go Bears!!”

The painting of the den was originally going to take place in early September, however, due to rain the date was postponed. The den was completely finished on Tuesday, October 6After the Class of 2016 graduates, part of the den will be painted over in blue paint, so that the Class of 2017 will have a fresh canvas to decorate when their time as seniors begins!