Salisbury Signs with Bucknell University

Ryan Lemaire

NCAA signing day for track & field athlete Kaitlin Salisbury. Back row left to right: Coaches John La Forge, Gus Schell, Jayson La Vorne, and Athletic Director Art Mazzacca. Front row left to right: Gerald Salisbury, Kaitlin Salisbury, and Nancy Salisbury.

Jason Bryant, Contributor

Track and field superstar, Kaitlin Salisbury, gathered with her family and coaches at Hawthorne High School on the NCAA early signing day, November 19, to commit to a full scholarship to Bucknell University.

Seated in the Library Media Center and surrounded by Athletic Director Art Mazzacca and coaches John La Forge, Jayson La Vorne, and Gustav Schell, as well as her parents, Gerald and Nancy Salisbury, Kaitlin signed her name on the contract committing her to attend the Patriot League school.  “It was stressful but it is breathtaking,” Kaitlin said looking back on all that she has done. Coach La Forge commented, “It is a blessing to have somebody so talented. Also, seeing her going to states was amazing.”

Salisbury’s track accomplishments have shined especially in her performances in the triple jump and long jump, giving her the title at the state Meet of Champions and earning her recognition during last winter and spring seasons as the Star-Ledger Track & Field Athlete of the Week and The Record Athlete of the Week.

HHS now looks forward to watching Salisbury enjoy her upcoming indoor and outdoor track seasons, knowing we’re watching a future collegiate star.