Get To Know The Crew

The Crew

K. Melendez

The Crew

Kaitlyn Melendez, Staff Writer

On stage, you see the actors standing in the spotlight. Who do you see then when the lights go out and the curtains close? The stage crew: the many people that set the stage, dress the actors, manage the lights, and work the sound. Get ready to meet the crew!

First stop is getting to know the stage.

Cassie Rivera, a senior manager told the Clarion, “I’m a stage manager and have been for a year now. I’ve done six shows and this is my seventh.” She explained her position as a manager, “Basically, what I do as a stage manager is help Miss Griffin with the configuration of the stage and what it should look like. I also help with the planning of the things that we need to get accomplished and tasks for the crew to do. I also run the scene changes on my wing and make sure everything is out and where it is supposed to be…anything that is in disarray I fix, bring out, or take off.”

When Rivera was asked why she likes being a part of the shows, she said, “I like the play because it gives me a sense of purpose, and I’m very proud to be on crew and of the things we do. It’s my home away from home and I have some amazing memories in that theater that I wouldn’t give up for the world. I think our productions are hidden gems and most people that don’t participate until their junior  or senior years always say they wish they had known how fun it was and that they wish they had done it sooner.”

The next destination is the basement, that holds articles upon articles of clothing.

“Costumes are a major part to almost any production,” said Lara Bookholt, a senior costume manager. “They bring liveliness and personality to truly represent what each character stands for.” When Bookholt was asked why she was involved with the theater program, she said, “Ever since I was a young girl, I wanted to somehow be involved in fashion.” Jokingly, she added, “Although the basement may not be filled with a ton of fashionable things, I get an outlet to express my interests.” She wrapped it up by saying, “The theater program here at HHS has become like my second home, almost all of my friends are involved. Whether it’s talking to Ms. Wright or discussing costumes with my chickens (costume girl nickname), I’m having a great time.”

Moving up to the balcony, Jackie Kabrel, a junior here at HHS, told us about her position as lights manager. “Lights contribute immensely to the show, and it is just as essential as the actors or sound are to the production. We help create a professional atmosphere which allows the audience to better receive the show and its message.” Kabrel then added,“This is currently my fifth show on crew. Kaitlyn Melendez, my co-manager, and I are first time managers and we’re both incredibly excited.” She concluded by saying, “I’ve made great friends, and I genuinely enjoy being a part of behind the scenes.”

Down to the sound board, sophomore sound manager, Lauren Rivera, spoke about her position and contribution to the show. She started off by saying, “Sound is a crucial part of the show. Without it, the actors wouldn’t be heard, and the play wouldn’t come to life. The sound effects give the show a more realistic aspect, that without it, the show would almost seem barren.” She added, “We provide music to set the mood for a scene and allows the show to be even better.” Rivera was asked why she enjoys being a part of the school productions. She responded by saying, “I like to do the shows because it is a fun way to do the things I love. It is a creative outlet that allows me to be who I am and has allowed me to escape any problems I may be facing. It lets me express myself while connecting with others that have similar interests. The shows are a great experience that I am glad to be a part of.”

A stage full of actors is great. However, a stage full of actors, a set, costumes, lights, and sound effects is even better. The crew does a fantastic job of bringing the show to life. All of the crew contributions play an important role to the final product. There wouldn’t be a show without actors. There wouldn’t be a show without crew.