Italian III Honors Field Trip

Jeton Hida, Staff Writer

On Friday, December 4 students of Mrs. McSherry’s Italian III Honors classes visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The museum is located at 1000 Fifth Avenue in New York, NY. Mrs. McSherry has brought her Italian III Honors classes to this same museum the past few years. This year she brought along some other teachers (Mr. McMann and Ms. Russo) as chaperones. The field trip lasted the whole day and the students were able to view pieces of art originating from all parts of the world.

A big hit amongst visitors is the Christmas Tree, which features eighteenth-century Neapolitan angels hovering among the tree. The students were split into groups to venture around all the different exhibits in the museum looking at all different types of art. Whether it be in the Egyptian or American exhibit, students were bound to find something in the museum that spoke to them. Famous attractions like the Temple of Dendur and panoramic paintings of the Palace and Garden of Versailles are just a little taste of exquisite world history that were available to view.

When asked how he enjoyed the museum, sophomore Fazli Hida commented, “The Greek Sculpture Garden was a monumental sight. The architecture of the building on the inside greatly added to the experience. It made you feel like you were at that part of the world.”

To wrap up the whole trip, the students and chaperones were on their way back to Hawthorne to enjoy a nice meal at Bottagra. Overall, the trip was a great experience for students. They were able to see all different forms of art and took a little bit of history with them on their way out.