Creative Writing Club’s Trip to NYC

T. DiGeronimo

Creative Writing Club members at the NY Public Library

Victoria Jungermann, Staff Writer

The Creative Writing Club went on a field trip to New York City to visit the New York Public Library and to visit the Winter Village in Bryant Park on December 9.

Junior Justin Rodrigues said, “I was glad to be enjoying the city with all my friends as well as Mrs. DiGeronimo, and Ms. Fiorilla. The ice [in Bryant Park’s ice skating rink] was not in the best shape, but I still had so much fun. I even saw a professional Japanese figure skater practicing on the ice!”

Senior Raiya Isaac said, “Falling down on your butt numerous times because you’re horrible at ice skating doesn’t sound like fun on paper but in real life it was a blast! The staff there was so nice to help us learn how to skate and tie my laces tighter, and I got to laugh and skate with all my friends, now I can’t wait to go back to Bryant Park!”

But this trip wasn’t all about the ice; after exploring Bryant Park, the students went to the New York Public Library for a tour and to learn a little about the library’s history, such as the lion statues outside the building. Students learned that the names of these lions are Patience, the lion of the South, and Fortitude, the lion of the North. Students went through an expedition hall to see a beautiful wooden roof, and amazing photographs that were taken from different periods in time. The decor of the library is beautiful, made with mostly marble.

Senior Francis Rodriguez explained, “The library tour was super interesting. I really enjoyed learning all about the library and it’s history.

Senior Julian Parra added, “I really liked our trip to New York City. I love the architecture of the library and I really enjoyed walking around Bryant Park.”

Overall, this trip was educational but was still so much fun for the whole club.