January In the Media Center

Leah Rosado, Staff Writer

The month of January has flown by. During the month our library featured a collection of books that included a “how to” and “self improvement” section. These books were there to encourage students and staff  here at Hawthorne High School to stick to their resolutions.  

The theme “Learn something new” was on the door entering the library. “Learn something new” included new workshops that were hosted throughout January. On Wednesdays and Fridays students and teachers took the time to teach new techniques and skills that could potentially help others. Some of the workshops included “How to Tie a Necktie”with Mr. Dan Lagrone, “How to Knit” with Ms. Theresa DiGeronimo, “How to Make Paper Art” with Mr. Jesus Barbosa, and “How to Decoupage a Vase” with Mrs. Irvine. Every workshop offered something new and creative for everyone.

Maker Space in the library using the 3D printer has become a big hit. A community open house was opened to the public on January 27. Many residents, Board of Education members, and librarians all attended to learn about the space. Our students demonstrated their skills with the 3D printer, a Raspberry Pie microchip computer, Mindstorm robots, electronic circuitry, as well as sewing, knitting, and of course looming.

The library became Eco friendly and very creative when they decided to reuse technology. The library received 17 computers that came from the Hawthorne Recycling center to be used in Makerspace. Makerspace is a program that is used to create 3D figures and objects. The recycled computers were used in the disassembly station by students. The computers were delivered by  the employees of the department of Public Works. A special thanks goes out to Mr. Eric Maurer and Mr. Ron Gonzales for making this possible.

Everyone’s favorite part of the library during the time of January was the melting Olaf made out of books. Every time someone checked out a book Olaf would diminish until he was fully “melted”. Last, but not least, students earned a raffle ticket by signing out any book in the month of January. A $10 Dunkin’ Donuts gift card was awarded to freshmen Michael Rica.