Mid-Season Winter Track Update

Sarah Wisniewski, Staff Writer

So far it has been an unbelievably successful season for Hawthorne High School’s winter track team. Mid way through the season the team has won several medals and placed in countless events. Records have been broken and personal goals have been achieved.

Recently the team competed in county’s. Senior Kaitlin Salisbury excelled, soaring with 4 gold medals and 2 records left shattered. The girls’ 4×400 relay consisting of Kaitlin Salisbury, senior Leah Matari, and  sophomores Nicole Bertollo and Kayla Miller, proudly winning gold. Nicole Bertollo also placed third in her 1600 meter race. While on the boys side, senior Rashawn Byfield did notably well in the triple jump. Senior Liam Morrissey placed fifth in his 1600 meter race.

The state meet is coming up soon and the team is definitely preparing for even more success. The team will be competing at Toms River against about 18 schools of similar size.

Coach Schell would describe the way the season has been going as simply, “beautifully.” He explains that everyone on the team has improved from the beginning of the season and the future is only brighter. He has “high expectations” for the rest of the season.

In all, he says the team is really embracing a family like bond, explaining it as a “family like atmosphere.” The coach is also very happy and sees the big picture as everyone improving.

The entire HHS family wishes the track team great success the rest of the season.