• Ferry capsizes in Iraq's Tigris river killing 71.

• Death Toll Rises From Cyclone Idai As Rescuers Struggle to Reach Those Stranded.

• Lion Air Crash Families Say They Were Pressured to Sign No-Suit Deal.

HHS Girls’ Track Preview

HHS Girls’ Track Preview

Sarah Wisniewski, Staff Writer

Head coach Gus Schell and assistant coach Jayson LaVorne are ready to take on another season of girls’ outdoor spring track. The 2016 season currently has 13 season meets, three of which will be held at Hawthorne High School. The team will be competing against such schools as Eastern Christian, Elmwood Park Memorial, Manchester Regional, Lodi, Garfield, Pompton Lakes, Glen Rock, Rutherford, and others. With great success in the 2015 season, all the athletes and coaches hope to do even better in 2016.

The girls’ track team lost the talent of two seniors from 2015: Taylor Conroy and Rosanna Atieh. Head coach Schell says the team will try to deal with the loss by adding new athletes, saying, “It’s the way high school sports are…athletes leave and new athletes come.”

Athletes to look out for this season include NJIC Athlete of the Year for 2015, senior Kaitlin Salisbury in jumping and hurdles. Seniors Leah Matari in running and throwing, Megan Stanczak in middle distance, and Sam Calkins in hurdles  Juniors to watch this season include Mina Di Filippo in hurdles, Mackenzie Conroy in distance, and Katherine Russo in hurdles. Sophomores Kimberly Corrales and Kayla Miller both do hurdles, with Katelyn Moro in the 400m, and Nicole Bertollo in hurdles and distance.

The successful coach also says the priority goal is to win league championships  and the state sectionals. Being competitive throughout the season was also an included goal. How will the team achieve it? According to Schell, “…with hard work, total commitment, and individual sacrifices.”

Senior Leah Matari is also set on winning the title at leagues, state sectionals, and counties. She says, “With the coaching and drive of the athletes, we can accomplish [our goals].” Matari believes the momentum of the successful winter season can also help the team achieve their “high goals.”

Hopefully, the team will keep their success going and achieve all they strive for this season.

Sarah Wisniewski, Editor

Sarah Wisniewski is currently a senior at Hawthorne High School and enjoys all things from writing, to sports, to volunteering, to stressing about college;...

• HHS Girls’ Track Preview

Nick Manzi: Mr. Congeniality 2019

• HHS Girls’ Track Preview

Mr. Hawthorne 2019 Recap

• HHS Girls’ Track Preview

Luke Kowalski: Mr. Hawthorne 2019

• HHS Girls’ Track Preview

There Is More To The Word Hate

• HHS Girls’ Track Preview

Arts & Entertainment

A Breakdown of the 91st Oscars

• HHS Girls’ Track Preview

Sports

TJ Palmer Becomes Mr. 1,000

• HHS Girls’ Track Preview

Ecology Club T-Shirt Sale

• HHS Girls’ Track Preview

Hawthorne High School Shines a Light on Human Trafficking

• HHS Girls’ Track Preview

Mr. Hawthorne 2019

• HHS Girls’ Track Preview

And the Spring Musical Is….

HHS Girls’ Track Preview