• Trump slams North Korea, Iran deal in UN General Assembly

• Hurricane Maria 'Extremely dangerous' Hurricane Maria churns toward Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico; Jose to scrape Northeast coast

• Three people arrested after violence broke out during a vigil for a Georgia Tech student shot by police

HHS Girls’ Track Preview

Sarah Wisniewski, Staff Writer

Head coach Gus Schell and assistant coach Jayson LaVorne are ready to take on another season of girls’ outdoor spring track. The 2016 season currently has 13 season meets, three of which will be held at Hawthorne High School. The team will be competing against such schools as Eastern Christian, Elmwood Park Memorial, Manchester Regional, Lodi, Garfield, Pompton Lakes, Glen Rock, Rutherford, and others. With great success in the 2015 season, all the athletes and coaches hope to do even better in 2016.

The girls’ track team lost the talent of two seniors from 2015: Taylor Conroy and Rosanna Atieh. Head coach Schell says the team will try to deal with the loss by adding new athletes, saying, “It’s the way high school sports are…athletes leave and new athletes come.”

Athletes to look out for this season include NJIC Athlete of the Year for 2015, senior Kaitlin Salisbury in jumping and hurdles. Seniors Leah Matari in running and throwing, Megan Stanczak in middle distance, and Sam Calkins in hurdles  Juniors to watch this season include Mina Di Filippo in hurdles, Mackenzie Conroy in distance, and Katherine Russo in hurdles. Sophomores Kimberly Corrales and Kayla Miller both do hurdles, with Katelyn Moro in the 400m, and Nicole Bertollo in hurdles and distance.

The successful coach also says the priority goal is to win league championships  and the state sectionals. Being competitive throughout the season was also an included goal. How will the team achieve it? According to Schell, “…with hard work, total commitment, and individual sacrifices.”

Senior Leah Matari is also set on winning the title at leagues, state sectionals, and counties. She says, “With the coaching and drive of the athletes, we can accomplish [our goals].” Matari believes the momentum of the successful winter season can also help the team achieve their “high goals.”

Hopefully, the team will keep their success going and achieve all they strive for this season.

• HHS Girls’ Track Preview

Hawthorne Day Fundraiser

• HHS Girls’ Track Preview

Fall 2017 Pep Rally

• HHS Girls’ Track Preview

Freshmen First Impressions: An Opinion

• HHS Girls’ Track Preview

Harvey’s Hero

• HHS Girls’ Track Preview

2017 Fall Show: The Crucible! Sign Up for Auditions Today!

• HHS Girls’ Track Preview

Drum Captain Interview

• HHS Girls’ Track Preview

News

Graduation With a Twist

• HHS Girls’ Track Preview

Youth in Government

• HHS Girls’ Track Preview

Alumni Spotlight

Alumni Spotlight: Mr. Paul Korzinski

• HHS Girls’ Track Preview

Roller Coaster Project at HHS

HHS Girls’ Track Preview