HHS Chemistry Students Learn Glassblowing

Students learning the glassblowing process from a Hot Sands employee.

Julia Aguero & Barbara Cucci, Staff Writers

On Friday March 11, the Hawthorne High School Chemistry Honors classes, along with chaperones Mrs. Wentworth and Mrs. Grant, took a trip to Hot Sand, a glassblowing studio in Asbury Park. Students got a first hand look at the glassblowing process. The employees explained step-by-step exactly what glass blowing entails. After hearing from the experts themselves, the students got a chance to blow glass, with the help of an employee of course. Each student was able to choose what color they wanted their handmade glass to be, with options ranging from purple and blue, to orange and red. At first blowing a glass bubble seemed so simple, but the class soon learned the process is a lot more tedious then they expected. There were so many factors that contributed to the quality of the glass, such as temperature and movement. “It was not something I imagined I would ever do, but it was really fun and something I definitely want to experience again,” said honor student, Mckenzie Brevet. Chemistry teacher, Mrs. Wentworth added, “I think that this trip is unique and something the students will never forget. Hot Sands did a terrific job relating glassblowing to concepts we discussed in class. They explained the process to each student as they were blowing their bubble. I hope this field trip can become an annual trip.” Students definitely enjoyed this trip and would blow a bubble again if they had the chance.