The Weeknd and Fetty Wap to Perform at the HHS Spring Pep Rally

Julian Parra, Staff Writer

For the first time in Hawthorne High School history, we will be celebrating the spring sport seasons and elevating our school spirits by hosting a pep rally on April 1, 2016. However, breaking news has just announced that Fetty Wap will be performing one of his original songs as the opening number for our Spring Pep Rally, while The Weeknd will be ending the event, by performing some of his number one hit singles.

Usually, throughout the pep rallies, the Hawthorne High School Marching Band would perform tunes and play Hawthorne High School’s Alma Mater. The Clarion asked Drum Major Adamarie Santiago about her thoughts on not being able to perform this special evening.

Santiago replied, “At first, I was very surprised that the administration would allow both celebrities to perform, since the songs they produce might not be too appropriate for school settings. However, I believe that we are taking a very important step towards total freedom of speech. Although the band and I are sad that we would not be able to perform, it is going to be a very memorable experience for all of us.”

Since Fetty Wap has to attend a family event in Paterson that evening, he would only have time to perform his latest hit, “Jimmy Choo.” The Clarion tried to get in contact with Fetty himself, but his publicist said that if the artist were to accept any interviews prior to his performance, it would be bad for business. Additionally, The Clarion was able to reach The Weeknd’s agent, and he stated that The Weeknd will be performing an unreleased song off his new album, along with hit songs “Can’t Feel My Face,” “The Hills,” and “In the Night.”

The Clarion then asked hip hop enthusiast Sami Hassan about the surprises on this year’s pep rally. “Ask David Zheng.” Was his reply.

We then asked senior David Zheng about the latest news. “I’m pretty excited for The Weeknd’s and Fetty’s show. I would have never expected them to collaborate but I am glad they are going to for HHS.”

Additionally, The Clarion had the opportunity of asking senior Jeton Hida about these two artists performing.

Stated Hida, “I am very excited that two of my favorite artists are performing. Finally, I feel like something very extraordinary and big is going to be happening here at Hawthorne High. I also feel like I have a connection with Fetty Wap since he is from Paterson and I was born in Paterson. I am really hoping the Weeknd surprises us with a performance of “Low Life.” Overall, I cannot wait for this event to transpire!”

The Clarion also talked to senior Kareem Habal about his thoughts. “I would want Drake and Kendrick Lamar to show up and perform a song together, but I guess this is okay.”

Hawthorne High School cannot wait for our very special Spring Pep Rally. It will be a day never to forget!