Marine Science Class Goes to Aquarium

Marine Science students left to right: Mariah Moreno, Andrea Nelson, Tori Calie, Jessica Bourgoin, Amber Walsh

Jason Bryant, Contributor

The Marine Science class took a field trip to Jenkinson’s Aquarium  in Point Pleasant, NJ on March 24.  The reason for going on the trip was to view animals that were discussed in the class. Each exhibit at the aquarium is designed to promote awareness of the animals, their habitats and conservation. Exhibits such as Atlantic sharks, Pacific sharks, coral reefs, penguins, and seals gave the students the opportunity to get up close to animals from around the globe.

Additionally, The class went behind the scenes to and see how the workers operated the facility and how they feed the animals and where sick and new animals go. The follow up to the trip has been discussing what the aquarium does behind the scenes and what it takes to run the aquarium.

Teacher Ms. Marissa Wentworth said, “I believe that the students left with a deeper understanding of what it would be like to work with the animals we talk about in class.”

“The aquarium trip was fun and informative,” said class member Amber Vermeulen. “We learned a lot about the environments of aquatic mammals and marine life that included penguins, tropical fish, sharks and seals. It was great.”