Spring Fling 2016

Hannah Frascella, Staff Writer

The annual Spring Fling Junior Fundraiser was nothing less than a great time. The preparation began months prior on Twitter, with the Class of 2017 tweeting out a poll on what the theme should be. Out of the four great options: Mardi Gras, Luau, The 1950’s, and Carnival. All of the themes were close, but Luau came out on top.

On Friday, May 13, the fun began in the high school cafeteria. Students came dressed in bright florals, grass skirts, and their best Hawaiian print, receiving a festive lei when they arrived. Inside, the cafeteria had been completely transformed.  Fairy lights were strung on the windows, and strands of flowers draped around the whole cafeteria, as lanterns and palm trees provided even more decoration.

Students had fun listening to music, as the event was DJ’d by Hawthorne’s own student, Jack Rainy, or DJ Zero. Aside from the music, students played games like cornhole and limbo, and enjoyed a variety of food and drinks. From Hawaiian pizza to shish kabob’s, there was plenty of good food for everyone to enjoy. Towards the end of the night, Jenn Cruz and Alex Ferriola were crowned Luau Lord and Lady.

Many students had a blast at spring fling, “I had a lot of fun at spring fling, between the music and the games, there was so much to do! There were a bunch of kids there, which was nice to see them supporting the junior class,” said Junior Dana Scherer. Junior class adviser, Ms. Wentworth, thought that the fundraiser went over well, “It was a great success, and it was uplifting to see people come out to help the class of 2017!”