HHS Band and Chamber Chorus : Winter Concert

Alli Getchell, Editor

On Wednesday, December 21, the Hawthorne High School band and Chamber Choir performed in the auditorium at 7:30 PM, for a large crowd of students, faculty and supportive parents. The concert was held to celebrate the holidays and ring in the new year with great music and singing.

Chorus administrator, Miss Kimberly Griffin, and the student chorus started the concert with, ‘Do You Hear What I Hear?’ and ‘Make Them Hear You’; two songs that were beautifully sung and conducted. The chorus only had ten rehearsals this year, when they normally would have thirteen. The club only meets once a week for about an hour, which means time is of the essence. There are also several dedicated students in the choir, who also participate in the concert band.

Following the choir, the band approached the stage along with band director, Keith Williams, to perform Christmas Travelogue, Wonder as I Wander, Bells of Christmas, and Winter Dances. In preparation for this concert, the band practiced during class, during lessons, occasional lunch periods, and a few times after school. The students are very dedicated and work hard to perform better each day.

Towards the end of the concert, the band and the chamber choir included the audience, with singing a few Christmas carols and then performing the Hallelujah Chorus. Before singing the Hallelujah Chorus, Miss Kimberly Griffin invited anyone who knew the song to come sing with the students.

Several alumni stepped up and joined the chorus, creating a powerful performance to conclude the concert.