HHS Cheerleading Captains 2017-2018

The+Captains

The Captains

Aly Christie, Staff Writer

Every year, senior captains are picked for the Hawthorne High School Varsity Cheerleading team. This year, the captains are Marissa Shea, Carly Spirito and Rocco Pecoraro. These three captains have a big responsibility in organizing and improving the team. The Clarion interviewed these student-athletes to see how cheerleading at HHS has impacted them.

Clarion: What do you plan to accomplish while being captain?

Marissa: I plan to keep the  team closer and better than ever before.

Carly: I plan to push the team to be the best it can be and perform to the best of our ability. I also strive to have the tightest bond among all of us because without a strong bond we won’t be able to work as a team.

Rocco: While being captain, I plan to accomplish a stronger sense of utility within the team. I also hope to advance our performance by adding advanced stunts and tumbling throughout the routine.

Clarion: What is your favorite aspect about cheerleading?

Marissa: I like that I get to enjoy basketball and football while I do what I love.

Carly: My favorite aspect of cheer is being able to perform for our community and town and spread spirit all over while still having fun.

Rocco: My favorite aspect of cheerleading has to be tumbling. The feeling of flipping through the air is truly incredible. Tumbling is the reason I started cheerleading because I find it so thrilling and if I never learned to tumble I don’t know what I’d be doing.

Clarion: Do you plan to continue cheerleading in college?

Marissa: If I go to a Division 3 college, then yes, I would love to.

Carly: I will most likely not cheer in college but it is always a possibility depending on where I end up going to school.

Rocco: Personally, I am interested in cheering in college. I’ve come so far in it so it would be a huge honor to continue cheerleading.

Clarion: What is your best memory throughout your years of being on the team?

Marissa: My best memory was being given the “Pin it Forward” award at NCA Cheer Camp.

Carly: My best memories are hitting the routines we’ve worked so hard on at competitions. It makes everything worth it in that moment because all the work paid off.

Rocco: Honestly, my best memory throughout all my years of being on the team has to be being asked to be apart of the National Cheer Association Staff. Ever since the first time I attended camp with the team it’s been my dream to be apart of NCA Staff and the fact that this dream has come true has made my time cheering here at Hawthorne so surreal.