Peer Leaders Take On New Project

Peer Leaders Take On New Project

Abby Reicher, Editor

Peer Leaders, a club in which sophomores, juniors, and seniors can take part in, is about keeping children on the right path to success. Every year, instead of having a head or president of the club, there is a senior committee that is chosen by the club advisers, Ms. Clifford and Mr. Corvo. Along with that senior committee, several juniors are also chosen to step up as leaders for the club as well.

Last year, Peer Leaders ended the year in the best way possible, winning a project throughout the entire county. The project that Peer Leaders was a part of was called the “Photo voice” Project, where the students had to take a photo, or several photos around town and write a paragraph showing how it could hurt students or a town.

The club split up in close to ten groups, with the seniors leading, and started to taking pictures around town. Many pictures were taken along with many paragraphs also written through the school year to complete the big task on hand. The club then got together, looked at the pictures, read the countless paragraphs and picked the top five!

The seniors then went to a Teen Summit to show what the Hawthorne students put together. Now the biggest task was picking the one picture with its paragraph to submit in the Passaic competition. The students picked the picture and paragraph they thought was the best and the group was very confident going into the competition. The Hawthorne Peer Leaders won!

New year, new project! The 2017-2018 Peer Leaders committee (along with the advisers) went to the Teen Summit this year to seek out the new project and get ideas as soon as possible. The project consists of making a song, poem, or skit about mental wellness. The club is overwhelmed with the amount of ideas that were presented! The Peer Leaders are excited to get to work together and bring home another victory.