Mindfulness for Students

Ellie Gallo, Staff Writer

School can put a lot of stress on students.  In fact, during the school year, teens say their stress level is higher than levels reported by adults.

A great way to combat stress is practicing mindfulness. Mindfulness is the basic human ability to be fully present, aware of where we are and what we’re doing, and not overly reactive or overwhelmed by what’s going on around us.

Recently, representatives from Pandora Healing in Hawthorne have been going to Lincoln Middle School to teach the students about mindfulness and ways to deal with stress. Here’s how you can practice mindfulness or meditation!

Take a seat. It doesn’t have to be a cushion or meditation bench, just anywhere you feel comfortable.

Set a time limit. If you’re just starting out, you should set a short time, like 5 minutes.

Notice your body. Notice how your feet are positioned and make sure there is no tension in your body.

Feel your breath. Notice the sensation of your breath as it goes in and out, as your lungs fill up and empty, and as your belly rises and falls.

Notice when your mind has wandered. It is inevitable that your mind will wander, so when that happens, do your best to bring your attention back to your breath.

Be kind to your wandering mind. Don’t get mad at yourself for wandering onto whatever thoughts you get lost in. Just come back to your breath. 

And there you have it! This may work for some people, but not everyone. So, if you are feeling stressed, just give mindfulness a try!