Girls are now taking over the Field!

cdn.newsday.com

More and More Girls…Are Playing Football

Shakira Petersen, Staff Writer

Throughout our lives as young women, we were always told that football is a man’s sport. This year at Hawthorne High School two girls have changed our perspective on that. Kellie Owens, a freshman at HHS, and Jacqueline Caraballo, a sophomore at HHS, have laced up their cleats and hit the field. The Clarion has sat down and interviewed the girls.

Clarion: What is the reason you decided to play football?

Kellie: The reason I joined football is that I’ve wanted to play since 5th grade. Now, getting to finally  during my freshman year is a dream come true.

Jacqueline: I decided to play football because I’ve always been drawn to the sport when I was in elementary school.

Clarion: Do you find it intimidating being the only two girls on the team?

Kellie: At times it can be a little intimidating, but in the end, we’re family and help each other out.

Jacqueline: At the beginning I found it intimidating because I was the only girl on the team but now I find it more motivational actually.

Clarion: Do you plan on playing football again the following year?

Kellie: I do plan on playing football next year. I enjoyed it this year and I’m excited about next year.

Jacqueline: I do plan on playing again next year, as long as my mother agrees to it.

Clarion: Do you like your teammates/get along with them?

Kellie: I do like my teammates and we get along most of the time.

Jacqueline: I do like my teammates and I get along with all of them. They are all my brothers and I would not change that.

Clarion: Was it hard being accepted on the team?

Kellie: It was a little hard to be accepted onto the team in the beginning because I’m a girl joining an all-boys sport.

Jacqueline: At first during the summer it was tough, but I didn’t quit and I worked extremely hard to show I’m committed and that I deserve to be on the team…which led to them accepting me.

Clarion: Do you like playing football more than your other sports you may play?

Kellie: Yes, I enjoy football more than my one other sport I do.

Jacqueline: I do like playing football more because it’s a great way for me to relieve stress because you get to hit your opponent and it won’t be an illegal play.