The HHS Football Dinner!

Reema Hassan, Editor

Hawthorne High School’s 2017 football experience was a great success. All the hard work and effort that was shown throughout the season definitely proved to our community and students that the HHS athletes are up for the challenge. As a treat for all the players and the staff that participated, all were invited to a traditional dinner that is held every year at the end of the football season. To get a little more information about the dinner, I sent out some questions to Mr. John Passero, HHS football coach, that will clear up some details.

Clarion reporter: Who’s the host?

Mr. Passero: As the head football coach, I guess you can say that I am the host.  However, some of my assistant coaches also talk at the dinner.  

Clarion Reporter: Who’s attending?

Mr. Passero: The dinner is for all athletes that have played football this past year, along with coaches, parents, and senior cheerleaders.

Clarion Reporter: When and where is it taking place?

Mr. Passero: In the New year, our dinner is Monday, January 22, 2018, at The Brownstone in Paterson.

Clarion Reporter: What’s served?

Mr. Passero: Our seniors pick the menu for our buffet-style dinner.

Clarion Reporter: Is there specific discussion during the dinner?

Mr. Passero: We have game balls and year-end awards we give out at our dinner.  Our players are also recognized for any all-league or all-county awards they received.

Clarion Reporter: Is it mandatory for players to attend?

Mr. Passero: All our players are encouraged to attend our dinner.  It is a nice way to send out our seniors and thank them for their years of commitment to our football program.  It is a nice way to kick-off our 2018 football season  The dinner is free to all players due to the fundraising we do throughout the year.

Clarion Reporter: Finally, describe how this year’s football experience went.

Mr. Passero: We finished the year at 5-4, with great wins against Manchester and Glen Rock.  When we were 3-4 heading into Manchester, and coming off two bad losses, there was some concern about how we would end the year.  Our team continued to practice hard and good things happened.  Our effort was awesome, and we were able to end the year on a high note.  We sent our seniors off with two great wins, and our underclassmen have something to push them in the off-season.