Percussion Captain Interview

Rachel+Zuckerberg

Rachel Zuckerberg

Breanna Rooney, Staff Writer

Recently, the Clarion interviewed Senior Percussion Captain Rachel Zuckerberg. We were interested to see what being a Percussion/Drum Captain was like and to get a look inside what made her want to try out in the first place.

Clarion: What made you want to try out for Percussion Captain?
Rachel: I love leading and teaching, and as percussion captain I knew I would have the opportunity to make a difference within the band.

Clarion: Do you believe the marching band had a successful season?
Rachel: The marching band had an extraordinary season, and we incorporated more elements and visuals this year than ever before. The program has grown so much over the last four years.

Clarion: What do you believe you contributed to it?
Rachel: I wanted my section to see music as more than just notes on a piece of paper, and I think I was successful in teaching and inspiring them.

Clarion: Have you always wanted to try out for Drum Captain?
Rachel: Drum captain has been a goal of mine since day one of freshman year, and I have worked towards it since my first band practice.

Clarion: Will you be continuing marching band in college?
Rachel: Unfortunately no, but I will definitely be participating in musical ensembles and symphonic bands in college. Music will stay with me forever, although I will no longer be marching on a field.

Clarion: Do you believe you learned anything, or grew from being Drum Captain?
Rachel: I learned about responsibility and what it takes to be a leader. These are skills I will take with me for the rest of my life and I am grateful that I was able to have this opportunity.

Clarion: What was your favorite thing about marching band?
Rachel: Looking back at my marching band career, I would say that my favorite thing about marching band is the experience as whole. Doing what you love with the ones you love is a surreal and irreplaceable feeling. I will miss the late night practices, games, and competitions, and the memories I have made within this program will stay with me forever.

We wish Rachel the best of luck in college and hope that she has fun in her music program!