Blood Drive 2018

Sierra Van Houten, Editor

Attention Hawthorne High School juniors and seniors! The time is upon us for the annual blood drive. Every year Community Blood Services comes to Hawthorne High to collect blood donations. The blood drive is on Tuesday November 27, an A day in our cycle.

It is important to donate because there is always a need for blood. That is why if you are eligible to give blood you absolutely should.

There are some rules to be able to donate blood. First, you have to eat a salty meal the night before and also a large breakfast before you can donate.  When you donate blood your body loses a large portion of its sodium that means if you do not eat there is a risk that you will pass out. Next, they have to check your iron levels in your blood. If your iron is too low, they will tell you that you cannot donate. You also have to weigh a minimum of 110 pounds. Lastly, you have to eat something afterwards before you go back to class.

You do need to bring a few things with you on the day of donation. You need to bring an ID, anything that has your date of birth printed on it. Prior to the donation you need to eat a healthy meal, and drink about 16 ounces of fluid not including soda, coffee, or tea. Also bring something salty to snack on.

If you are interested in donating, the forms are due to Ms. Russo by Friday, November 16. The blood drive will be held in the small gym on November 27. The drive will last all day and you must come at your scheduled time. The times will be posted outside Ms. Russo’s room so please check the sheet prior to the blood drive.