• Russian Aeroflot flight diverted after suspected hijacking, demand for flight be diverted to Afghanistan.

• CBS rejects Super Bowl ad on benefits of medical marijuana.

• Los Angeles teachers strike to go into second week even if agreement reached, union says.

2018 Hawthorne “Showtime” Bears Girl’s Soccer

Brendan Knepper and Sean Gordon

The Hawthorne High School “Showtime” Bears girls soccer team had a very successful season this year. They made it all the way to the NJSIAA North Jersey, Section 1, Group 1 Tournament, Final Round. They fought hard all season long and blew out teams in the tournament. This will be a strong team for the next couple of years.

In the first round, Hawthorne blew out Hasbrouck Heights 4-0. Briana Andreoli led the team with 3 of the 4 goals. Heather Bertollo added another goal. Ruby Conroy had 2 assists and Alejandra Castillo and Sofia DiFilippo each had one assist. Gabrialla Del Valle had 6 saves.

In the quarterfinal round Hawthorne defeated Pompton Lakes 4-1. Briana Andreoli scored 2 goals, Heather Bertollo scored 1, and Alejandra Castillo scored 1. Gabriella Del Valle hauled in 5 saves.

Hawthorne was able to take down Mountain Lakes in the semifinal round 4-3 in an exciting overtime game. Goals were scored by Briana Andreoli, Heather Bertollo, Alejandra Castillo, and Ruby Conroy. Andreoli also had 2 assists and Bertollo added one more. Gabriella Del Valle had 14 saves as goalie.

Unfortunately, the team couldn’t hang on to beat Midland Park for the title, losing in penalty kicks. This was a very exciting and intense game for both teams. The “Showtime” Bears fought hard in this game and showed they deserved to be in the position they were in. Ruby Conroy scored one of the goals in this game. This loss ended the season for the girls, but they will look to improve even more for next year.

The Hawthorne High School Girls Soccer team was very aggressive throughout the whole season. Hawthorne scored a total of 81 goals during the 2018 season. The girls team was only shutout 4 times and 1 of those games was a tie. Hawthorne’s highest scoring game was against Garfield High School. This game was the season opener away in Garfield beating them on their own field 8-0. The girls soccer team’s leading goal scorer was freshman star, Briana Andreoli. Many other goals were scored by Alejandra Castillo, Heather Bertollo and Ruby Conroy, Madison Van Dyk and Katrina Kimberlin.

Brendan Knepper, Staff Writer

Hi, my name is Brendan Knepper. I am a sophomore at Hawthorne High School. My favorite hobbies are playing hockey and baseball. I am excited to publish...

Sean Gordon, Staff Writer

Hi, my name is Sean Gordon, I will be writing articles for The Clarion this school year. I am a sophomore here at Hawthorne High School and play basketball...

• 2018 Hawthorne “Showtime” Bears Girl’s Soccer

Mr. Hawthorne 2019

And the Spring Musical Is….

Holiday Spirit Week: Door Decorations

What Do the Clarion Writers of Period 6 Do During the Holidays?

Student Profiles

Senior Spotlight: Timothy Palmer

Student Profiles

Senior Spotlight: Emma Mathews

Sports

Girl’s Soccer State Tournament

Justice For Jones: Why #BlackLivesMatter

Three Must Have Recipes for Thanksgiving

Wall of Respect