College Searching Tips

College Searching Tips

Andrea Oliver, Staff Writer

Trying to find the right college for you will likely be a long process.

There are two aspects of a college that should be looked at closely:  how good are the school’s programs for your preferred major and how do you like the campus and atmosphere.

If you already know what you want to go to college for and are dead set on it then you need to look for colleges with good programs. Don’t just look this up on the websites that are paid by colleges: Use many sites and sources when looking at potential colleges from open source websites to the college’s own site to see their programs. All of this is really helpful in the long run as going to a college with a better program and connections can help you get a job in the future.

Don’t feel bad if you have no idea what you want to do or go to college for because most people don’t have it figured out and many people change majors during their college years. Some colleges have programs just for trying out new things in an attempt to figure out what major you want to eventually specialize in. Transferring schools later down the line is always an option as a different college may have a better program that you want to transfer to.

Lastly (and possibly most importantly) find a college whose atmosphere you like especially if you plan to dorm there. If a college has a good program, but you hate the campus, then going somewhere different might be for the best.

If you go somewhere far away you will be living in and around the college for the next 4-8 years of your life depending on how far you plan to take your education. Actually visiting a college is crucial because photos and promotional videos can only show you so much and often hide the more negative aspects of a college campus. Another added bonus of going on college visits is that many give out fee wavers making your overall application process easier.