Interview with Mr. DeMaio

Digital+Camera

Digital Camera

Alyssa Gordon, Staff Writer

Hello Bears! As you are probably aware, we have a new principal! Mr. Thomas DeMaio is so happy to be here! He has been working in education for 28 years. Mr. DeMaio has been a principal for 13 years, and an assistant principal for 8. Prior to becoming an administrator, he taught math at Elmwood Park Middle School and coached college football for 7 years. He is happily married to his wife, Joni. Together they have 3 daughters: Taylor, Shannon, and Colleen.

Mr. DeMaio grew up right here in Hawthorne, along with his sisters and both of his parents. His father was a teacher, coach, and athletic director here at Hawthorne High School.

In high school, Mr. DeMaio was very involved. He received 10 varsity letters in football, basketball, and tennis. He was the quarterback of the state championship team, and went to the state finals his last two years for basketball. He was an NHS student who loved math and took pride in his academics. 

Prior to being our principal, he was the principal of Pascack Valley HS for 12 years. He enjoyed his time as the principal there and had a lot of fun. He felt a lot of pride within everyone associated with PVHS.

Mr. DeMaio said that he feels the same type of community here at HHS, and he is looking forward to getting to know everyone and getting more involved.

“I know that this has been a strange and difficult past several months,” stated DeMaio, ” and unfortunately we can’t do anything about that; however, your attitude and your work ethic is something that you CAN control. You can make the best out of the situation with having a positive attitude everyday. You still need to get an education. It is something that you can’t fake and it is something that no one can take away from you. Work hard for you. It truly has an affect on how the rest of your life may turn out. I look forward to meeting everyone. Don’t hesitate to stop me and introduce yourself!”