Increased In-Person School; An Opinion

LightRocket via Getty Images

IVREA, TURIN, ITALY – 2020/05/26: A teacher reads a book to kindergarten children in a school garden. Municipality of Ivrea opens the gardens of two kindergarten schools as part of a pilot test to see how schools can reopen after COVID-19 coronavirus lockdown. (Photo by Nicolò Campo/LightRocket via Getty Images)

Jean Walsh, Staff Writer

It’s been almost a year since our last normal school day, as Hawthorne High School has been operating on a hybrid schedule for all of the 2020-2021 school year. Cohort A is in school on Mondays and Thursdays, Cohort B is in on Tuesdays and Fridays, and everyone is virtual on Wednesdays. This schedule has worked well so far, however many students, including myself, have wished for more time in school. I would have never thought that I would want to go to school more, but after the year that we have had, this change is something that I am very happy about.

As a graduating senior, I have definitely missed being in school with all of my classmates, as there are some people in my grade that I have not seen in almost a year. I think that it is super important to have everyone together to just simply socialize. There have been a few times this school year that I have felt like a senior, and I believe that once the majority of my grade is together at school, we will all feel a bit more like seniors.

Since we will be in school 4 days a week now, I think that the overall amount of information that we are learning will increase, because students are more likely to focus in school than at home where they can just sit in their beds. I know that I will feel more motivated to complete my work and pay attention, now that my in-person time is doubling. I think it’s super important to have kids in school, as some students do not have perfect home lives, and school is an escape for them.

I hope that this will be an easy and safe transition, and that this will be the schedule for the rest of the school year. If the students and teachers all do their parts, then this can definitely work!